BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Volchuck=Tear jerking tank top wearer.

Most people favour the protagonist when watching a film. Not me. I love a good old fashion villain who comes out on top in the end. The sad thing is, you don't find that very often. A few years ago my friend Gina introduced me to a show called The OC which is basically about the troubles that rich kids have. PFFFFTTTT please, "oh dear, I dropped my blackberry in the huge pool in my back yard. I guess I'll have to go buy another one, maybe an Iphone this time." But that is another argument for another time. Anyway, Gina was one of those obsessed fans and she begged me to watch one episode with her. Much to my dismay, I was hooked.


In that series, there is one character that I fell in love with at first sight. I guess I could say "he had me at hello." His name was Volchuck. If any of you are familiar with the series, you may be thinking that I'm a traitor and that I couldn't possibly like him after all he's done. As I stated earlier, I love the villains.

In The OC Volchuck was; from the first moment we see him, portrayed as someone you wouldn't trust. We meet him and immediately identify him as the bully, the troublemaker. He causes a lot of problems for Ryan who is the main character and threatens his cozy life with the Cohens. After Ryan and Marissa(the leading female role) break-up, Marissa falls into Volchucks well kept biceps, making Volchuck the new love interest.

After dating for a while Marissa sees the error of her ways and dumps Volchuck. He is completely devastated. He begs Marissa to give him a second chance, when she rejects him, things take a tragic turn. This situation turns into a high-speed Chase, with Marissa and Ryan in one vehicle and Volchuck and his friend in the other. Volchuck makes his car collide with Ryans in an attempt to get Ryan to stop so he can win Marissa in a jealous brawl. He ends up running them off the road which results in Marissa's death.

Sure, you're probably thinking "GOODNESS GLACIERS HE IS A NUT CASE" but he is not. After this traumatic event, Volchuck shows that he is extremely sorry, he states that it was just an accident. He flees the country in hopes of avoiding Ryans wrath, isolating himself. Now, this is where I became sympathetic towards Volchuck. He is all alone in Mexico, feeling guilty for causing the death of the only girl he has ever loved. Also, he hides himself because he knows that if Ryan finds him, he will kill him. Imagine, you're in a strange place, you just caused the death of someone you truly loved, and you are awaiting your murderer.

Somehow I find it hard not to be sympathetic, put yourself in this situation, I would want someone to feel sorry for me. So, this is one case where the villain does not come out on top, but definitely wins the hearts of some previous doubters.

0 comments: