BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

LOL=D [persuasive essay format]

The title of the article I have chosen is LOL=D, I found this video on Teen Ink. The author of this post is Lauren B from Rockwell, TX. The opening paragraph contains the main point which is "why texting can sometimes be rude." The opening paragraph really caught my attention because It is a topic that I completely agree with, when I am having a conversation with someone and they wip their phone out and start texting it really bugs me. There are five paragraphs in this article and they all have importance to the thesis. In one part the writer uses another resource to back up her statement "Supporters say that texting is useful in situations where calling is not permitted; it is less obtrusive and more easily ignored than a phone call, perhaps even more polite. However, while texting does not involve speaking out loud, it is still an interruption and therefore still can be considered just as rude." The writer presents other sides of the argument because she says "Maybe I am old-fashioned. Perhaps I haven't caught up with the times. Maybe I was raised differently, or maybe I am just plain weird. Whatever the case, I consider texting in the middle of a conversation, a movie, or a lecture ridiculous and unnecessary. " The writer has convinced me of her argument because she presents points that I have noticed before and took into account. The writer could have mentioned some experiences she has had with people who text during a conversation and how they only hear half of what you are saying and how they are barely engaged in the conversation. A counter argument the writer did not include was that some people may have the ability to be completely engaged in a conversation but still be texting at the same time. I did not exactly find the conclusion effective because I thought she could have ended it stronger and added more effective points. I did not notice any spelling or grammar mistakes. I liked this article because it addresses a point that I have been arguing for a while. Nothing is more annoying than when you are in a conversation with someone and the pull out their phone when you say something important and start tittering and teeheeing over a text. It's ridiculous.

http://www.teenink.com/opinion/pop_culture_trends/article/147555/LOLD/

0 comments: